4. METHOD OF SOLUTION
UNSPEC uses an iterative technique to solve the unfold problem. Qualitatively, the solution proceeds as follows:
1. Choose a trial spectrum consistent with the experiments criterion for smoothness,
2. Fold this spectrum with the known response matrix,
3. Compare the measured and calculated signal values,
4. Adjust the trial spectrum in order to improve the agreement between the measured and calculated signal values,
5. Repeat steps 1-4 until the final result is consistent with the measured signal values to some arbitrary criterion selected by the experimenter.