NEA Mandates and Structures
Task Group on Optimising Management of Low-level Radioactive Materials and Waste from Decommissioning (TGOM)
Fredrik DE LA GARDIE, Sweden
|Member(s):||All NEA member countries|
Under the NEA Statute
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)|
|Date of creation:||15 September 2016|
|End of mandate:||31 December 2018|
Mandate (Document reference):
- Creation of a new mandate in the Terms of References for the WPDD Task Group on Optimising Management of Low-level Radioactive Materials and Waste from Decommissioning [NEA/RWM/WPDD(2016)2]
Mandate (Document extract):
Extract from document NEA/RWM/WPDD(2016)2
The Task Group is entrusted with the following mandate:
- To share knowledge of international experiences, strategic approaches and concepts in management of materials and waste of very low and low-level radioactivity from decommissioning.
- To identify and describe how different countries manage their (very) low-level radioactive materials and waste from decommissioning and what measures are taken for its optimisation. The focus of the group will be on strategic approaches and concepts. Optimisation will be considered mainly in terms of minimising the radioactive waste resulting from decommissioning. The considerations will cover all steps of materials and waste management from their generation (during dismantling) until their ultimate disposition.
- To analyse the drivers of different approaches that lead to optimisation of materials and waste management, but also the constraints and their impacts. These drivers and constraints will range from technical, managerial, economic and regulatory to societal and historical aspects. The following will be included in the evaluation:
- Regulatory and licensing aspects;
- Technical and operational aspects;
- Safety and the ALARA principle;
- Waste acceptance criteria;
- Environmental aspects.
. Technical approaches to the optimisation of materials and waste management may be subject of later activities of this task group.