The NEA operates under the guidance of the Steering Committee for Nuclear Energy, through a series of specialised standing technical committees, with the NEA providing the secretariat and co-ordination services. These committees cover the major areas of the Agency’s programme.
NEA standing committees are comprised of member country experts who are both contributors to the programme of work and beneficiaries of its results. The approach is highly cost-efficient as it enables the Agency to pursue an ambitious programme with a relatively small staff that co-ordinates the work. The substantive value of the standing technical committees arises from the numerous important functions they perform, including:
- providing a forum for in-depth exchanges of technical and programmatic information;
- stimulating development of useful information by initiating and carrying out co-operation/research on key problems;
- developing common positions, including "consensus opinions", on technical and policy issues;
- identifying areas where further work is needed and ensuring that NEA activities respond to real needs;
- organising joint projects to enable interested countries to carry out research on particular issues on a cost-sharing basis.
Structure of Nuclear Energy Agency Committees and Subsidiary Bodies
The NEA occasionally co-sponsors international events where the NEA Director-General or NEA experts will intervene. A list of the events in this category is available on this website.
MyNEA and Delegates' area
Certain content on the NEA website is restricted to the public. They are intended for two distinct groups:
Delegates of NEA committees
Delegates of NEA committees have access to the following services:
- Official documents
- Mandates and structures
- Official meeting schedules
- List of committee members
- Committee contact information
NEA working group members
Members of NEA working groups sometimes have access to dedicated download areas of the website, either in the MyNEA section of the site or in other parts of the site to support their work. This is distinct to the Delegates' area and access is provided directly by NEA divisions. Please contact the NEA Secretariat if you think you should have access to either area.