- The NEA participated in the International Conference Nuclear Energy for New Europe (NENE 2020), organised by the Nuclear Society of Slovenia on 7-10 September 2020. Director-General William D. Magwood, IV spoke at the opening session of the conference about the current status of & future prospects for nuclear energy, education and research.
- NEA Director-General Magwood was a keynote speaker at the World Nuclear Association (WNA) Strategic eForum 2020 held on 9-11 September 2020. During his speech, Mr Magwood highlighted the role of nuclear energy in the cost-effective decarbonisation of electricity systems. “Nuclear is a technology that is easily expandable under the right situation, that we understand how to build and operate, and we have the ability to use this technology to match with renewables to enable us to be successful,” he said.
- NEA Director General Magwood and senior staff undertook a virtual mission to France for meetings with the Ministry for the Ecological Transition and various organisations.
- The NEA participated in a webinar organised on 14 September 2020 by the Institute of Energy Economics, Japan (IEEJ) to present the recently published NEA report Unlocking Reductions in the Construction Costs of Nuclear: A Practical Guide for Stakeholders.
- The NEA participated in the US Women in Nuclear Region III Conference, organised by the Purdue University Chapter on 14-16 September. The NEA Director-General spoke with the students about NEA activities in the field of capacity building and gender balance, including the NEA International Mentoring Workshop series in Science and Engineering.
- NEA Director-General Magwood participated in the launch of the new NICE Future report launch on 15 September 2020 at the 11th Clean Energy Ministerial.
- The NEA held a WebChat with H.E. Mohamed Al Hammadi, Chief Executive Officer of the Emirates Nuclear Energy Corporation (ENEC), on 17 September 2020.
- Gloria Kwong, Acting Head of the NEA Division of Nuclear Technology Development and Economics, spoke about nuclear energy development and innovation at the IAEA Scientific Forum 2020 held on 22-23 September 2020.
- The NEA participated in a virtual side event on US Reactor Technologies, organised by the United States at the IAEA General Conference. Director-General Magwood spoke at this event to provide a global perspective from NEA membership on the role of nuclear energy toward the flexibility requirements of future energy systems.
- Michel Berthélemy, an NEA nuclear energy analyst, was a panellist at a webinar hosted by the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) Expert Group on Resource Management. He spoke about the recent NEA work on electricity markets and underlined the importance of system costs and full cost accounting within the context of a clean energy future.
- The NEA participated in the International Gender Champions Impact Group meeting hosted by the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) on 29 September 2020. Director-General Magwood noted that the NEA supports its membership in their efforts to explore ways of recruiting & retaining women in science and to pursue gender equality in the nuclear sector.
- The NEA also participated in the Innovation for Cool Earth Forum (ICEF). Director-General Magwood spoke at the forum session on “Innovations in Nuclear Energy”. During his speech, he highlighted recent NEA analysis of the ability of electricity markets to prepare countries for the future and the role nuclear energy can play in a sustainable, long-term energy infrastructure.
- NEA Director-General William D. Magwood, IV participated in the Group of Twenty (G20) Energy Ministers meeting held under the presidency of Saudi Arabia on 27-28 September 2020.
- CANDU Owners Group (COG) and the NEA have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to co-operate in research and activities related to pressurised heavy water reactor (PHWR) technology.