The OECD Nuclear Energy Agency (NEA) fully supports the proposals made by the IAEA Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi to ensure that the seven pillars of nuclear security and safety are maintained in Ukraine.
The seven pillars are:
- The physical integrity of the facilities – whether it is the reactors, fuel ponds, or radioactive waste stores – must be maintained;
- All safety and security systems and equipment must be fully functional at all times;
- The operating staff must be able to fulfil their safety and security duties and have the capacity to make decisions free of undue pressure;
- There must be secure off-site power supply from the grid for all nuclear sites;
- There must be uninterrupted logistical supply chains and transportation to and from the sites;
- There must be effective on-site and off-site radiation monitoring systems and emergency preparedness and response measures; and
- There must be reliable communications with the regulator and others.
Director-General William D. Magwood, IV commented, "It is essential that nuclear facilities be operated and managed safely and securely under all conditions. We appreciate the work of our colleagues at the IAEA to uphold these standards under even the very challenging circumstances that we have seen over the last week."