- Registration for the 2022 course is closed -
This training course focused on communicating risk on a daily basis. Its aim was to improve the effectiveness of risk communication in order to enhance public understanding.
Over three days participants interacted with communication experts and technical professionals working in nuclear energy organisations to learn the fundamentals of risk communication.
- Introduction to nuclear and radiological risks
- Risk communication vs. crisis communication
Session 1: Why is risk communication important for nuclear organisations?
- Overview of risk communication objectives and challenges, and definitions of its components
- How audiences use information
- How to assess risk perceptions
- How to build trust
Session 2: The art of effective risk communication
- Identifying your target audiences
- The importance of simple and clear language
- Designing a risk communication strategy
- Implementing a risk communication plan
- Evaluating your strategy and plan
Session 3: The techniques, practical implementation and specific challenges
- Techniques, tools and channels in nuclear and radiological risk communication
- What journalists need
- Countering rumours, conspiracy theories and fake news in the misinformation landscape
- How to handle public meetings in an effective manner
- Case study
- Working together: communicators working with technical staff, management and other staff members within their organisation
- Preparation and presentation of Final Project